Home

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Stained glass gingerbread cookies

I can't wait for Christmas, as you probably know by now... Yes, I'm not patient.


And because of that I made gingerbread cookies 4 weeks before Christmas. 


That and the fact that they taste better after they lie in a tin for some time. 
Don't get me wrong, they're  pretty delicious when they're fresh but there's something different about 3-week-old gingerbread cookies.


My friend made these a year ago and she swears that they are still good, so I decided to give this recipe a try. The recipe is here.
(I re-read the last sentence and feel the need to clarify. My friend didn't eat these delicious cookies only because they were made to hang on the Xmas tree. In other case she would have eaten them, I'm sure... I had to hide the newly made batch because my husband keeps eating them when I'm not around, so that's saying something.)

I made ordinary gingerbread cookies to decorate with white icing and hang on our tree, but the most exciting thing is that I made stained glass cookies.


Inspiration comes from Pinterest and my mother-in-law.

                                                                                 Source: bbc.co.uk via Guilty on Pinterest


                                                                                Source: flickr.com via Guilty on Pinterest

The idea is simple - you make cookies (in my case, gingerbread cookies) and cut out the insides of the cookies before baking. Then you fill the holes with crushed hard candy. It will melt during baking creating beautiful stained glass effect.



I recommend using baking paper with these cookies. You may experience some problems with un-sticking the cookies from the paper - just put them in a cool place for a couple of minutes and they'll come off it.

As you can see, I made holes in the tips of the stars in the picture above - they're going to adorn the Xmas tree this year. Hopefully, they'll reflect the Xmas light :)


I almost forgot. Today is St. Nicolas Day in Poland - pre-Xmas presents giving day. :)

Hope you have a very nice day!

©2010-2011, copyright Guilty Pleasures
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print