Home

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Orange muffins - saving a badly written recipe


My obsession with muffins continues... I've been asking my friends for good recipes and, well I got this one (in Polish), I thought, great. But (there always is a but, isn't it?) it turned a nightmare to bake with.
btw: I just looked at the sentence in the brackets and lolled - butt :) 




OK, this was my first time substituting milk with OJ in a muffin recipe (and I didn't think about it 'cause I was so excited at first) and maybe I am stupid not to expect this or the author (referred to as A. below) is using some short cuts I know shit about. Sorry for the language, but I got really terrified when my egg and butter mixture started to curdle when I added OJ. I know that this can happen, but seriously A. could give me a heads up. I mean, it doesn't hurt, y'know. 



And that's not the end. I had to add twice the amount of flour as indicated in the recipe. I didn't look for pancake batter and it was even more runny. 

So, all in all, I made a totally different recipe out of the initial one. I'm going to try some other recipes of A.'s and check whether it was just bad luck on my part. 

OK, enough venom in one post :)


Orange muffins
 
Some facts:
My rating: 8/10
Prep time: 10 -15 minutes (or more if you're squeezing the juice by hand)
Cook time: 15 -20 minutes
Total time: 25 - 35 minutes
Yield: 18 muffins (tins - 7cm in diameter)
Fat: oh, they're greasy all right





Ingredients
  • 200g butter (room temperature) (or 100g)
  • 250g brown or regular sugar (or 150g)
  • 4 eggs (or 2 eggs)
  • 240 - 250 ml orange juice
  • 450g AP flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    Cooking Directions
    Mix butter with sugar till white and fluffy.

    Mix while adding one egg at a time.

    Add OJ. Don't worry - it may curdle.

    Add flour and stir just to make it moist.

    Put into muffin tins - mine are silicone. :)

    Bake in 160*C for 15-20 minutes or until they're golden. They're ready when a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.


      Aand important note : they're quite greasy and sweet (because of that amount of butter, I should think) and taste best two-three days after baking.

      Edit: ok, whole family's been interrogated about them and these are the results: too much butter and too sweet. They are dense too, so if you are looking for something soft, try my cocoa muffins. Also, I've added some info to the above recipe which makes muffins less greasy and less sweet, but the yield changes accordingly.

      ©2010-2011, copyright Guilty Pleasures

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

      Print