Home

Friday, April 15, 2011

Flatbread with mushrooms


 
 Last night I had to come up with something quick and easy because I had only 30-40 minutes before K. came home from work. Well, I spent 10 minutes looking through blogs to find this recipe. I saw it earlier that day but didn't remember where to look for it. I think I have to re-organise my bookmarks once again. Having all 30 of my fav blogs in one place and uncategorised can turn to be such a pain in the ass.


Ah, but I found what I was looking for and had like 30 minutes to make it. I had to cheat a bit (maybe a little more than that), but K. said that this flatbread is better that any pizza crust we ever made (and we have home-made pizza 2-3 days a week).

I used only the recipe for the dough and modified it a bit, so here goes:


Dough

Some facts:

My rating: 9/10
Prep time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 teaspoon yeast
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 3/4 - 3 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 -7 tablespoons olive oil
Cooking Directions
Turn on the oven - 200*C.

In a bowl, stir together water, yeast and sugar.

In another bowl, whisk together flour and salt.

Stir the flour into the wet ingredients - it'll be quite runny.

Now add the rest of the flour and stir or knead everything together, adding more flour if needed. The dough should hold together but be a bit sticky.

Sprinkle the dough with olive oil, cover and leave to rise next to the oven (it's warm there).

Coat the pan with a bit of olive oil.

After 10-15 minutes put the dough in the pan and spread it to the corners of the pan with your fingers. The dough is quite springy but keep spreading.

Sprinkle the dough with more olive oil and set next to the oven once more to rise - 10 minutes.

 Cheats: 
  1. In the original recipe the dough is supposed to rise for the first time for 1,5 hour O_O! Well, I didn't have so much time. That's way I used the heat from the oven to speed things up. :) (I doesn't have to be and oven, a radiator would do.)
  2. I omitted one step altogether: "Using hands, lift dough from bowl and gently turn over several times to remove excess air. Return to bowl, with plastic wrap and let rise a second time in warm place  30 minutes." (Clockwork Lemon)
  3.  I shortened the time the dough needs to rise after being transferred to the pan and drizzled in oil. "Note: The more olive oil you use the more time you should give your dough to rise and soak up the oil." (Clockwork Lemon) - I think this is awfully important - so either use small amounts of oil or give the dough time to soak it up.
 
Topping

Some facts:

My rating: 10/10
Prep time: 30 minutes - while the dough rises
Cook time: 15 -20 minutes
Total time: 45 - 50 minutes
Yield: one 22x30x5 cm pan


Ingredients
  • 8 - 10 mushrooms
  • 10 - 15 green olives (stoned)
  • 3 slices deli meat
  • 50 - 75 g feta cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper



Cooking Directions

You make the topping while you wait for the dough to rise.
Roughly chop the mushrooms. Fry for 5-10 minutes. Leave to cool.

Cut the olives in halves or slice them.

Cut the meat into 1 cm stripes.

Cube feta cheese.


Once the dough is ready put (in this order) the mushrooms, deli meat, olives and feta on the crust. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or as long as it takes for your flatbread to get golden.

Take out of the oven and sprinkle with oregano.

Serve immediately.

    Ekhm, well it is prepared in 30 minutes, but then you have to bake it. So it takes more than 30 minutes to complete. Oh, well... You will just have to occupy your man in some other way, if y'know what I mean <wink>


    ©2010-2011, copyright Guilty Pleasures

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    Print