Home

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Easy apple pie

There's still no snow and I'm in a bad mood. 

To cheer up I'm listening to Xmas music. ('Driving home for Christmas' now) :) 



As I promised there is an apple pie I made. The pics are not the best quality but my husband is taking his time picking a camera. It has to be perfect. :)


Remember when I made adult muffins? Yeah, I left some of them on a plate for a couple of days and they turned into rocks :) Forgot about them ;)

I don't like to waste things... and had this idea to use stale cookies for the bottom of the cake. 

So, as I don't own a food processor, except for a 20yo mixer, I had to crush the muffin buggers by hand.

Well, it was not particularly fun. I had sore thumbs and index fingers after 7 muffins. BUT they were amazing as a bottom of the pie.



Easy apple pie

Some facts:
My rating: 7/10
Prep time:  max. 20 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
Total time: max 60 minutes
Yield: 26cm tart pan

Ingredients
  • 3-4 cups of cake crumbs (out of muffins, cookies etc)
  • 100g of butter (room temp.)
  • 2 eggs 
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 big apples (peeled, cored, thinly sliced)
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 2tsp cinnamon + 2tbsp white sugar
  • 1/2c white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2tbsp lemon juice
Cooking instructions

Put the crumbs in a bowl and mix it with butter and eggs. It should hold together.

Grease the tart pan and cover it with bread crumbs. Preheat the oven to 180*C

Spread the dough on the pan.

Slice the apples really thin.

Put the slices in a bowl, spray them with lemon juice.

Mix cinnamon and white sugar and toss with apples.

Put apple slices on the dough - I made a kid of fan of them, but don't worry you won't see them at all after we are through with the last part.


Cover apple layer with brown sugar. 

Put the pan in the oven and bake till the apples release juice and it will absorbs into dough.

In another bowl beat egg whites till stiff then add 1/2 c of white sugar. Beat the whites till they form stiff peaks.

Take the pie out of the oven and spread the whites on top of apples.

Put back in the oven for 10 more minutes or till it browns nicely.

  Let cool. 

Cheers!

©2010-2011, copyright Guilty Pleasures
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print