Home

Friday, November 4, 2011

The amazing apple pie


 My addiction to Pinterest continues :)
When I saw the cake I couldn't believe my eyes - it looks mighty difficult to make. 

And... the recipe is in Russian. Thanks to Primary School Principal, I had some Russian at school. :)


Challenge accepted then. ;)

Some facts:
My rating: 7/10
Prep time:  30-40 minutes
Cook time:  30 minutes (till the dough is baked)
Total time:  60-70 minutes
Yield: one 23 cm pan


Ingredients
For the dough:
  • 125g soft butter
  • 70g powdered  sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp orange zest/peel
  • 100g finely minced almonds
  • 150g  flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 

For the filling:
  • 500ml milk (400 ml in the original recipe)
  •   2 tbsp of brandy (100 ml white wine in the o.r.)
  •   3 egg yolks
  •  1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp orange zest/peel
  • 6 tbsp sugar
  • 4 tbsp flour

  • 4 apples(5-6 in the o.r.)
  • some apricot jam, heated

Cooking Directions

Dough:

Grease the baking pan or line it with baking paper.


Mix butter with sugar, add vanilla extract and orange peel.
Add egg and almonds.



Gradually add flour.



Line the baking pan with dough. Help yourself by dipping a spoon in warm water once in a while when transfering the dough to pan. (You can see a slight glare in the pics I made - it's from the water)

Keep in the fridge while preparing the filling.


Filling:

Mix eggs, sugar, flour,orange peel and vanilla extract with 3-4 tbsp of milk until smooth.


Mix the rest of the milk and brandy and bring to boil on low heat.
When milk starts boiling add the eggs mixture and stir till incorporated.
The mixture will start to thicken. Take of the heat and put aside.

Or you can use ready - made pudding.


Apples:



With a vegetable peeler make ribbons out of apples without removing their skin. 
Wrap the ribbons into roses.
 Pour the filling over the dough and arrange the roses from apples on it.




Preheat the oven to 180*C. 
Bake till the dough is baked and the roses are golden.

Serve completely chilled.



Notes
Next time,  I'm not going to use minced almonds (too expensive) - my guests didn't notice their flavour in the dough at all. So instead I'll add more flour.

I'll try the recipe with the wine - brandy didn't add anything to the taste (maybe I should add more :))

The dough tends to bake quickly while apple roses don't. So you have a delicious pie, but the roses are not cooked thoroughly. My girls told me it's pretty good either way, but I don't like to do anything halfway, so...

Also, try using a ready-made pudding powder and adding less milk because the filling in the recipe gets a bit runny when baked.

All in all, my guests liked the cake very much. It was tasty and looked very pretty.

And well, to tell you the truth, it's mainly supposed to look good. If it tastes good as well, it's just an added bonus :)

Have fun baking!

Edit: I know there are no 17 & 18 in pictures, but I'm too tired to change it now. :)

©2010-2011, copyright Guilty Pleasures
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print