Home

Monday, January 2, 2012

Basic pizza dough and pizza rolls


I'm still a bit exhausted after New Year's Eve, I'm not getting any younger :)

The pizza rolls I made were a blast. And that reminds me I left my baking tray at our friends' house...

Yeah, we had a great night. Lots of food. I think I'll get properly hungry again sometime around Easter. :)

My mother-in-law always makes her pizza dough in the same way - I'm using the recipe for some time now and it never failed me.


I always use fresh yeast - that's the only one I can find in the shops. That's why, I have no idea how to convert the yeast amounts (I mean, freash yeast instead of active dried yeast). 

If you have some system of yeast conversion, drop a note in the comments. Thank you! :)

Basic pizza dough

 Some facts:

My rating: 10/10
Prep time: 60 minutes
Cook time (for pizza rolls):  30 minutes (till crispy and browned)
Total time:  30 minutes

 Ingredients
  •  3 cups flour
  • 30g fresh yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 pinch of salt

Cooking Directions

Sift 3 cups of flour into a big bowl. Add salt.


Take 1/2 cup of warm water and add crushed yeast and sugar. Stir till dissolved.

Make a little pit in the flour and pour yeast mixture. Leave for a couple of minutes to rise. 

Knead the dough together adding the rest of warm water and oil gradually. 


Don't bother to make it smooth. You're ok, when the dough comes together in a nice ball.


Sprinkle a bit of flour on the bottom of the bowl, put the dough inside and sprinkle some more flour on top.

Leave in a warm place to rise. I always put it next to the radiator in winter. :)


It's ready when doubled in size.

Pizza rolls


 Ingredients
  •  basic pizza dough 
  • tomato sauce (ketchup, tomato puree, oil, oregano, salt, pepper)
  • corn
  • salami
  • cheese (grated)
  • whatever you like on your pizza
Cooking Directions

Roll the dough really thin.  Spread some tomato sauce and cover with whathever you like.



Be careful not to make the add-ons layer too thick - it'll be difficult to roll and cut.

I always shred salami slices into stripes and grate cheese really finely.


The rolling may be a bit problematic, but you can get round it using some plastic wrap.

Rolls don't change their size too much when baked so you can stuff the baking tray with them - very useful when you have an army to feed and no spare time :)  (Actually, I think it's better to leave 2-3 cm space between rolls - it helps the air circulation and they bake faster)


Bake in 180*C - 200*C for 30 minutes or till the dough is stiff (when prodded with a finger) and starts to brown.

Dunk in the garlic sauce when still warm. :)


Notes:

I think, they're an amazing hangover food. If you can eat, that is. <evil_laugh>
I always eat like a pig the next day. My hubby, on the other hand... :)
EDIT: I have found yeast conversion and will be testing those while making cinnamon rolls :)
1g Instant = 1.25g Active Dry = 2.5g Fresh. as found in Not So Humble Pie's recipe for said cinnamon rolls.

©2010-2012, copyright Guilty Pleasures

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print