Home

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Students' salad with noodles


I've been thinking about the salad for some time now. One of my college friends gave me this recipe a while ago and I made it for almost every party we hosted and the ones we were invited to as well. :) 
It's really saves you time and money. The only problem is the stirring (you'll get what I mean once you try it  :) ) since the cabbage gives it quite a volume. But the outcome is really tasty so go ahead and try it. The amount of ingredients I give below is enough to feed at least 6 people. Feed means really feed, so that they don't need any other type of nourishment for some time... :)
I remember that it was once enough for a group of 10-12, so if you plan a big party... there you go  :)



What you need:
  • 1 big nappa cabbage (celery cabbage)
  • 4 packs of spicy noodle soup (Ramen)
  • 1 big chicken breast
  • 1 big leek
  • 1-2 bell peppers (red or green)
  • 1 can of corn
  • 1 pack of chicken spice mix
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic
  •  mayonnaise
  • 1 very big bowl (and I mean VERY big) ;)
 
What to do with it:

Dice the chicken breast and cover it with spice and chopped garlic. It would be perfect if you could leave the chicken for the night, but you can just as well fry it now.
It will be done in no time so pay attention and don't let it burn. It's done when the pieces are white inside (cut them in halves to see).  Take the pieces out and drain from oil on paper towels and leave to cool.

  Brake the noodle slabs into small pieces, put into a big bowl and cover with hot water.Add the seasoning from the Ramen pack and stir. Leave noodles to absorb the water, it'll take 20 min. or so.

In the meantime, shred the cabbage (I recommend stripes - it makes the whole lot easier to stir at the end), dice the peppers,and slice the leek.

If there is still water in the noodles, drain them and leave them to cool.

You need the big bowl now. ;) Put noodles, cabbage, leek, peppers, corn and chicken into the bowl and add as much mayonnaise as you like. 3-4 tablespoonfuls should be enough for ingredients to hold together.
 
I don't add any additional seasoning because of the spiciness of the Ramen and chicken spice mix, but feel free to experiment.
All ingredients present. Let's stir everything together.

Leave the salad in the fridge for the tastes to blend. It's the best after a night in the fridge, but it never lasted for a day in my house, so...  : )

Please comment if you liked it or if you changed something to it's advantage.


(I'll add some pictures later as I'm making the salad for the New Year's Eve party :) )

EDIT: I've added some pics. Sorry for low quality, but that's the only one you'll get till I get a new camera (which may as well last eternity with the job prospect I have right now <sigh>). Also, there's no pic of the salad after stirring everything together. Well, to tell the truth, I didn't get the chance to take a shot which tells something...
©2010-2011, copyright Guilty Pleasures

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print