Home

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pumpkin Cake



I have never eaten pumpkin before last Saturday. I bought a 4,5 kilo pumpkin and made puree. I'm not crazy eco person or anything. You just won't find canned pumpkin in Poland. 

So, yeah... I carved, cut and roasted the orange flesh. I mashed it, cooked it some more and pureed it. I love this orangey yellow it gets. Used some of the puree for the pumpkin cake and froze the rest.

My husband doesn't get my fascination with  pumpkin, but he liked the cake. He likes cake. I married a prefect guy :)



I found the recipe on Pinterest, but it originally comes from allrecipes.com: Pumpkin Pie Bread.

I modified the recipe slightly - run out of ingredients mid-bake. Ups... Happens to the best of us. Well, may be not, but I needed cake that day...

Pumpkin cake

Some facts:
My rating: 6/10
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 45-50 minutes
Yield: one 33x26cm pan


Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda 
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp salt
  •   2 1/2 cups white sugar
  •   1/2 vegetable oil
  •  almost 2 cups (15oz) pumpkin puree

Cooking Directions

Preheat oven to 180*C (or just turn it on and leave it - I have an electric oven and can't set a temperature)

Line the baking pan with baking paper or grease it.

Whisk together flour, soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice.

In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar,oil and pumpkin puree.

Stir the dry and wet mixes together.

Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the center come out clean. 

It's pretty good warm, but tastes even better on the next day.



Notes

Next time I'm using less sugar and oil. 
Instead of oil maybe add a bit of water for the ingredients to mix properly. 

If you haven't got pumpkin pie spice, make your own. A recipe is here.

EDIT: It's almost a week since I made the cake and we still have some of it. It tastes amazing - I think it gets better with each day. I suggest keeping it in an airtight container.


©2010-2011, copyright Guilty Pleasures
Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Print